Wednesday, February 3, 2021

1946 Virtual Gold Gloves

by JT

Virtual Gold Glove Awards

Using Sean Smith's Defensive WAR and Rtot, Michael Humphrey's DRA, Bill James's FiWS, Pete Palmer's FR, Clay Davenport's FRAA, and other indicators, I've awarded "Virtual" Gold Gloves to the most deserving players and mentioned some runners up.

AL
C- Rosar, Tresh, Hegan
1B-Hank Greenburg
2B- Bobby Doerr, Joe Gordon, Priddy
SS- Johnny Pesky, Phil Rizutto, Boudreau, Stephens, Appling
3B- George Kell, Stirnweiss; Majeski
OF- Dom DiMaggio, Joe DiMaggio, Wally Judnich

NL
C- Meuller, Masi, Seminick
1B- Mize, Waitkus
2B- Eddie Stanky,  Schoendienst
SS- Pee Wee Reese, Marion, R Kerr
3B- Handley, Fernandez, Hack
OF- Carl Furillo, Holmes, Reiser

Agree or disagree? Let me know. In fact, I'd love someone better to do this. 

5 comments:

  1. Nice. Is there a site where I can find Palmer's FR numbers on the net? I'm familiar with all the other fielding stats you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I know of. I had to but the ESPN Baseball Enclyclopedia--pain in the butt--and now Michael Humphreys' DRA not on the net anywhere ----glad I did all tehse before it was taken down.

      Delete
  2. Darn. I've been bugging Baseball Prospectus for a couple years to include FRAA for early retrosheet era players, but no luck so far. This would be another good fielding metric to use in figuring virtual GG's, but they may never get around to adding it to their site. A shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. WIn Shares and DRA and Palmer's FRs are outliers. BR's stuff and FRAA are pretty close---will be posting something on Mays--I caputred DRA before it went down for him and I have (I think) all the fielding metrics out there for him...

      Delete
  3. One last thing- Tom Thress has play by play based "net fielding wins" complete back to the late 1920's on his website. However his numbers are on a different (smaller) scale than all the others mentioned previously. Still, they may be of some use to you.

    ReplyDelete